David Porter is President Trump’s nominee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
Age: 52 (approximate)
Current Position: Shareholder, Buchanan, Ingersoll & Rooney, P.C. (Pittsburgh, Pa.)
- B.A., Grove City College (1988), with honors
- J.D., George Mason University School of Law (1992), Notes Editor, George Mason University Law Review
Judicial Clerkship: Judge D. Brooks Smith, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania (1992-1993)
- 1994-present: Shareholder, Buchanan, Ingersoll & Rooney, P.C. (Pittsburgh, Pa.)
- Over his legal career, Mr. Porter has handled hundreds of litigation matters, serving as lead counsel in jury trials, non-jury trials, and arbitration proceedings throughout the United States. He also litigates matters involving constitutional issues, election law, and labor and employment agreements.
- Porter has represented an educational and charitable organization in litigation over a $500 million real-estate development project; represented a top-10 cable company in multimillion-dollar commercial disputes relating to its acquisition of several cable systems and products; defended a national book publisher and author in an action brought by celebrity death-row prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal, who sought to enjoin publication of a book about his murder trial and appeals; and represented the New York Times in a defamation case brought by a businessman claiming $54 million in damages.
- Porter has also been appointed a court-appointed master and mediator by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Professional Activities: Mr. Porter is President of the Pittsburgh Lawyers Chapter of the Federalist Society. He is also a member of the Republican National Lawyers Association.
Awards: Mr. Porter has been named to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list and the The Best Lawyers in America list (Commercial Litigation category). Mr. Porter is also an elected member of the American Law Institute.