Patrick Bumatay is President Trump’s nominee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit from California.
Age: 40 (approximate)
Current Position: Mr. Bumatay is currently detailed from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of California in San Diego to the Office of the Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice (Washington, D.C.).
- B.A., Yale University; cum laude (2000); Phi Beta Kappa
- J.D., Harvard Law School (2006), Articles Editor, Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy (a leading law journal for conservative and libertarian legal scholarship)
Judicial Clerkship: Judge Timothy M. Tymkovich, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (2000-2001); Judge Sandra Townes, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York (2009-2010)
- February 2018-Present: Counselor to the Attorney General, Office of the Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice (Washington, D.C.)
- May 2017-February 2018: Senior Counsel to the Deputy Attorney General, Office of the Deputy Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice (Washington, D.C.)
- February 2017-April 2017; 2007-2008: Counsel, Office of Legal Policy, U.S. Department of Justice (Washington, D.C.)
- 2012-Present: Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of California (San Diego, CA)
- 2010-2012: Associate, Morvillo Abramowitz Grand Iason Anello & Bohrer, P.C.(New York, NY)
- 2008-2009: Counsel, Associate Attorney General, Office of the Associate Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice (Washington, D.C.)
- As a federal prosecutor in the criminal enterprises and narcotics sections of the U.S. Attorney’s Office in San Diego, Mr. Bumatay has participated as lead counsel or second chair in nine bench and jury trials. He has also argued before Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- In the Attorney General’s Office, Mr. Bumatay advises the Attorney General on criminal matters, national opioid strategy, transnational organized crime, and prison and reentry policies.
- Bumatay has worked on the confirmations of Chief Justice John Roberts, Justice Samuel Alito, Justice Neil Gorsuch, and Attorney General Michael Mukasey.
- In private practice, Mr. Bumatay represented clients in criminal, regulatory, and civil matters involving allegations of market manipulation, credit ratings fraud, procurement fraud, collateralized debt obligation fraud, mortgage-backed securities fraud, insider trading, and obstruction of justice.
- Bumatay is an active member of The Federalist Society. He is also a member of the Federal Bar Association, the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, and the National Asian Pacific Islander Prosecutors Association
Click HERE to View Online