Ryan Bounds is President Trump’s nominee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit from Oregon.
Age: 44 (approximate)
Current Position: Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Oregon (Portland, OR)
- B.A., Stanford University (1995), with honors and distinction; Phi Beta Kappa; Editor, The Stanford Review; Founding Editor, The Thinker
- J.D., Yale Law School (1999); Editor-in-Chief, Yale Law and Policy Review; Editor-in Chief, Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy (1998 Federalist Society Symposium Issue); Editor, Yale Law Journal; Vice-President, Yale Federalist Society
Judicial Clerkships: Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1999-2000)
- 2000-2004: Litigation Associate, Stoel Rives LLP (Portland, Oregon)
- 2004-2007: Deputy Assistant Attorney General and Chief of Staff, Office of Legal Policy, U.S. Department of Justice (Washington, D.C.)
- 2008-2009: Special Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy, The White House (Washington, D.C.)
- 2007-2008; 2009: Special Assistant United States Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia
- 2010-present: Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Oregon (Portland, OR)
- As an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Portland, Mr. Bounds prosecutes criminal cases involving fraud and environmental offenses.
- Mr. Bounds has extensive appellate experience, having served in the Appellate Unit as a Special Assistant at the D.C. U.S. Attorney’s office, briefing and arguing criminal appeals before the D.C. Circuit and the D.C. Court of Appeals. He also briefed and argued cases in the Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Eighth, and Ninth Circuits while serving as Deputy Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Policy at the DOJ.
- In his capacity as Deputy Assistant Attorney General and Chief of Staff at the DOJ, Mr. Bounds coordinated departmental policies in a wide range of areas, including immigration, intellectual property, crime-victims’ rights, and budget priorities. He also assisted in advising the White House on the nominations of Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Alito to the Supreme Court.
Professional Associations: Mr. Bounds serves as an Appellate-Lawyer Representative to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. He is also President of the Pioneer Courthouse Historical Society and President of the Portland Lawyers’ Chapter of the Federalist Society.
Biographical Notes: Mr. Bounds is an Eastern Oregon native and a graduate of Hermiston High School. He is married and has a seven year-old daughter.
Read the National Review Article